Friday, August 9, 2013

Now let's talk reddit


For the longest time I was like: what the hell is reddit anyways? I was resistant, but look at Snoo up there! He's the mascot, the reddit alien. Adorable. I want a t-shirt.

You don't capitalize reddit. All the various sections in reddit are called subreddits. Your anniversary since joining the site is called a cake day. Still, you might think - so what?

As an example, let's jump into various music subreddits...

http://www.reddit.com/r/Classicalmusic
http://www.reddit.com/r/jazz
http://www.reddit.com/r/musictheory

You see people, or redditors, posting their favorite things - in a lot of cases from YouTube, but also SoundCloud or any source really. Beyond link posting, there are discussions - favorite compositions of the 21st century, saxophone players, music theory advice etc. Plenty of composers post their original work as well, which I look forward to hearing. People vote whether they like what you've contributed. You generally get positive feedback, because redditors have a thing called reddiquette. If you are nice to them, they are nice to you. There are shmucks like anywhere, but they're the ones that get booed off the stage. Simple.

You get more feedback in reddit than you will on Blogger. Blogger is a more solitary experience. Reddit has tons of links and news headlines that people are talking about - and plenty of goofy humor as well.

I have an account as, um, I can't remember the name right now. And I just added another user name as angusdegraosta, a name which makes sense to stick with. I even have an app for the site on my phone called Baconit. Why bacon I don't know. This is all new to me, but I dig it.

Anyway you'll come across fascinating stuff in the various technology, history or literature subreddits. Commenters range from super intelligent to nerds to goofy hipsters.

There are also quite a few places for creative writing, including GhettoHaiku. The most popular post in that section right now is "Club sluts" by LoganPhyve -
grabbin' at my drank
club sluts always be needy
bitches, don't even
I think that might be the most beautiful haiku I've seen. So tender.

Cheers,
Angus

P.S.: Plenty of serious discourse on the site too. It is an especially great site for exposure to new information. But the humor and the goofy photos are hard to resist.

No comments: