Saturday, September 24, 2011

So Selfish Runs The Hare


I was listening to "Morris Medley" by the Albion Country Band, which is mainly instrumental but has a quick little tune called "So Selfish Runs The Hare" in the middle that got into my head:

   So selfish runs the hare and so cunning runs the fox,
   Who would think that this little calf would grow to a noble ox?
   To live among the briars and to run among the thorns,
   And die the death that his father did
   with a large pair of horns.

   Horns, large horns; horns, large horns
   And die the death that his father did 

   with a large pair of horns.

   The hunt is up, the hounds are out, the lark's song fills the air.
   And we're away to the great green wood
   to hunt the buck and hare.
   The moon is riding down the sky to usher in the morn.
   We'll rouse the town with fanfares blown
   on a large pair of horns.

   Horns, large horns; horns, large horns
   We'll rouse the town with fanfares blown 

   on a large pair of horns.

   So come you jolly fellows, drink your ale and down your beer
   To welcome in the harvest and the turning of the year.
   We'll drink the season with the blood of old John Barleycorn;
   I'll drink to thee and thou to me
   from a large pair of horns.

   Horns, large horns; horns, large horns
   I'll drink to thee and thou to me 

   from a large pair of horns.

The song on their album only features the first verse, which is traditional, but I found the other two verses above printed here. They were written by Jon Berger and round out the song nicely.

I became so enamored of the tune that I immediately went to figure out the chords on guitar. I suppose when I get a ukulele in a few weeks, I'll try it on that too. Meanwhile, here are professionals. The lyrics begin a few seconds after the three minute mark...

Download "Morris Medley" here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?1dis8mumbbe6e3b

In addition, the whole Albion Country Band album, currently out of print, can be found here at Folk Yourself.

Cheers,
Angus

3 comments:

Marcos said...

This song grabbed my attention as well. There's also a slightly bizarre version by The Soft Boys on 'Live at the Portland Arms', but this is also just the first verse. Are you aware of any recordings of the full version?

Ed said...

Not yet... we'll have to keep looking.

Unknown said...

The whole version is recorded on an album called 'All for a Lark' by a group of the same name. Magnetic Oblivion Music Co, copyright 1999